Monday, October 1, 2007

Big Girls Don't Cry

Last night I finally finished Marley & Me. I have had this book since Christmas, and I've wanted it so badly, but for one reason or another, I could never pick it up and read it. Finally, at the beginning of last week, I did. I made it my "whenever" read. Whenever I'd go in the bathroom - I'd read a little. Whenever I had some down time at night, I'd read a little.

This book warmed my heart so much. You already know that I love dogs. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that this book touched me. For those who have never heard of it, Marley & Me is a memoir of life with the world's worst dog. Marley is a yellow lab who is "mentally unstable" in the best of ways. And for those who know MY dog, if you read this, it'll be like taking a peek into my life. :) My dog is mentally unstable. Haha.

It paints the picture from the day they meet Marley as a five-week old pup, to the day the bury Marley, thirteen years later. It also includes the tale of their family, and how it grew during those years. From being newlyweds to having three children.

I laughed out loud so many times while reading this. (Which is funny, considering I'd read it in the bathroom often.) I had to read so many paragraphs to Dave because it was like someone was writing a biography about Tripper. The best part about reading this book is I'd read it on the couch, with Tripper curled up in my lap. Like she was absorbing the story by osmosis or something. But I ended up reading some of it out loud to her. (She loves listening to stories, or songs. It's funny.)

And last night, I had tears pouring from my eyes as I finished the book. I had fallen in love with Marley, and so watching him get old and withered was terrible. And by the end, I was full out sobbing. Tripper had patiently been waiting by my feet and when I put the book down, she climbed in my lap and gave me more kisses than I've ever gotten. I couldn't even move my head, she had me in a Vulcan grip and wouldn't let me go. She turned my frown upside down, which is what she's best at.

Smarts she may not have, but loyalty she surely does. Looks like she was the big girl, and I was the baby last night, instead of the other way around!

No comments: